As we’re coming up to the end of 2019, and we’re closing in on 2020, we can look back at the year that passed, and we see that it’s truly been a great one for the gaming industry. A lot more slot games have been released, new types of features have been invented, and while some developers closed their doors, other new ones entered the industry, all with big plans. I look forward to seeing the new online slots of 2020.
Below, you can see all the cool new games that are being released in 2020, with reviews and all the details you could need to choose one that you will love playing. We write about them as soon as there is information, and we have full reviews on each one, after they’re released, so keep checking back to see the new 2020 online slots.
Slot Development Trends 2020
Every year, there are certain trends which seem to develop, taking into account what players like and any new mechanics and game engines that might take off. Keep reading, to find out what kind of trends we might see in new online slots for 2020.
- Even more high volatility slots: with high volatility games on the rise, and with the Megaways game engine now part of dozens of slots, we can expect for 2020 to offer a lot more of the same thing. Even developers that have traditionally been mostly about low to medium volatility games, such as NetEnt, are now going after the more experienced players. In NetEnt’s case, we’re seeing Max versions released for some of their slots, with higher volatility and bigger payouts, so they found a way to cover both types of players.
- Bigger top payouts: the Megaways craze got us started on this path, and there are a lot more slot machines with 10,000x or higher payouts than ever before. The volatility goes up, but the rewards go up as fast as the risk does. I expect for this trend to continue, and for developers to keep outdoing each other with the potential rewards in their new slots.
- More challenges to the Megaways system: we’ve already seen some early attempts at new game engines, usually looking like variations on the Megaways, with as many as 1,000,000 ways to win (Red Rake’s Million Ways system, for example) offered in some of them. I suspect we will find quite a few more examples of developers trying to invent something unique and fun for the players, with enormous potential. At the same time, I’m curious about what Big Time Gaming has up its sleeve, I’m sure that we haven’t heard the last of them, they’re still innovating with almost every new game they put out.
- Flash technology is on its way out: with the market’s biggest browser, Chrome, announcing that they’re not going to include support for Flash starting from December 2020, I expect that as we get closer to that date, we’re going to see many of the older slot machines being converted to HTML 5. That’s for the popular ones, but many of the others I suspect will be retired once that date comes around. 2020 might very well be a year of renewal for some of the older popular games, the ones still offered only in Flash.
- Mobile Gambling: mobile gambling is fast growing more popular, and a lot of the new developers are building their games with a mobile-first mentality, adapting the controls and graphics for use on this type of platform.
Popular 2020 Upcoming Developers
As always, there have been quite a few new developers introduced to the market this year, and we will see new online slots in 2020 from plenty of other such studios. Some of them are released on their own, others are supported by partnerships like the one Microgaming has with various smaller independent studios (Triple Edge Studios, Just For The Win, Neon Valley Studios, Slingshot Studios, Gameburger Studios, etc) to provide them with fresh games. We will be seeing more from these, and since they’re marketed as Microgaming exclusives, they will get a lot of attention from players.
Of course, there will be other smaller studios that get a lot of attention, thanks to the quality of their games alone. I look forward to discovering the ones that stand out, in 2020 and beyond.
New Slot Features
With such a large number of developers creating slot machines for the online market, you can count on the competition resulting in innovation, as the companies are trying to stand out. Some will try to outdo the Megaways system, and here I’d mention the Million Ways system which has been used already, along with others that are similar. We will also see variations on the usual bonus games, free spins and wilds, in some cases with huge multipliers that will impress and have a major effect on a game’s volatility.